Sunday, October 5th, 2014
Below you will find an itinerary for the race day proceedings; including check-in times, directions to the parking and start/finish, and rules for spectators.
The Start/Finish line is located at the Blue Sky trailhead off of 38E across from the Canyon Bar & Grill.
We will have limited parking at the Blue Sky trailhead for full carpools on a first-come first-serve basis. Parking for all other participants and spectators will be located in the marina parking lot off of Shoreline Drive.
Race participants will not be required to pay the park day use fee.
**Parking is not allowed anywhere on 38E, along Shoreline Drive, or on any connecting residential street.**
- Take I-25 north to the Harmony Road/Timnath exit (#265).
- Head west on Harmony Road for 7 miles where it becomes County Road 38E at the Taft Hill Road intersection.
- Continue west on 38E around the south end of Horsetooth Reservoir.
- Turn right onto Shoreline Drive (immediately after passing the Blue Sky trailhead on the right and the Canyon Grill on the left)
- Pass by the service station and first set of campsites. Follow the “Parking” signs and bear right into the campgrounds, past the guard station and to the large dirt lot.
- From the parking area walk south on the gravel path on the west side of the lot next to Shoreline Dr through the campgrounds to the Blue Sky trailhead.
View Blue Sky Marathon in a larger map
5:30am-6:30am: Marathon check-in at the Blue Sky Trailhead. You MUST check in to receive your bib number to be officially entered into the race.
6:45am: Marathon pre-race briefing at the Start/Finish line.
7:00am: Marathon start!
Marathon Cut Off Times:
- 12:00: Marathon runners must reach the Indian Summer South aid station outbound (Mile 15.6)
- 1:15pm: Marathon runners must reach the Indian Summer South aid station inbound (Mile 20.3)
- 3:00pm: Finish Line Cut Off.
Aid station volunteers at the Indian Summer South aid station must enforce these cut off times to ensure that we can clear the course within the time frame that the Park has allowed for this event.
Runners may leave a drop bag at the Blue Sky Start/Finish to pick up at mile 9.2. We will have a tarp to set bags out next to the aid table. Pack your gear to stay dry in case we get any rain.
Finish line bags can be left at check in and will be stored in our gear trailer. These bags will not be accessible until after the race but will remain dry. Please make sure that any clothing that you leave is bagged and labeled with your name so that you can retrieve it at the finish.
Please do not leave any valuables in your drop bags.
Post Race Food
Food and beverages will be provided at the post race 10am to 3pm at the Blue Sky trailhead finish area.
Awards and Raffle
1:30pm: Marathon Awards and Raffle
Shower facilities are available at the marina parking lot. The cost is $1 per token (minimum 2 tokens).
Much of the course is run on trails that are not easily accessible to spectators.
The best viewing points will be the Start/Finish line at the Blue Sky Trailhead, the Soderberg Trailhead, and the Hunter Loop turn around.
- For the Start/Finish, park in the marina parking area (see above) and walk over, please DO NOT drive through or park at the Start/Finish.
- To access the Soderberg Trailhead, continue North on Shoreline drive and make a left into the trailhead parking lot. If the parking lot is full, you may park in the marina parking area and walk north through the campground to the trailhead.
- To access the Hunter loop (turn around), drive to the Devils Backbone parking lot near Loveland. Take Highway 34 West from Loveland and take a right onto Hidden Valley Rd and follow signs to the Devils Backbone parking lot. Follow the trail North up the hill to the junction of the Wild and Hunter loops.
While the entire trail system is open to the public, due to the high volume of traffic on the course we ask that friends and family refrain from hiking or biking further onto the course. Crewing and pacing by foot or by bike is not allowed and will result in the disqualification of your runner.